View Single Post
Old
05-13-2013, 04:46 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shadows View Post
Well, I don't really get it.

Ill go by what I saw that season. Mario was dominant as usual, and a clear head an shoulders above Feds. or Jagr for that matter since that is what the thread is about. In the games Mario Missed that I caught, it did not look like the same team.

People can look at "numbers" regarding Feds goals for/Against all they want. The fact of the matter is, his beautiful numbers were largely due to his team as well as his personal skill.
With regards to adding Fedorov into this discussion:

Even despite the ES numbers disadvantage, Mario is clearly the superior player to Jagr. Fedorov IMHO was the best forward after Mario that season (followed very closely by Jagr). After that there's tight group including Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, Lindros, and then a step down to Francis, Messier, Kariya, Selanne, etc.

As far as Pittsburgh's drop in performance; a big part of that can be attributed to a worse season by Francis. Yes, statistically he was better offensively. But he had a worse season at even strength (similar raw ES numbers per-game despite Jagr's massive increase and the reduced strength of oppostion) and he played with Lemieux and Jagr on the PP, which is what floated his PP higher than the previous season. Had Lemieux not returned (and Francis/Jagr been on the first line), I would imagine he'd have been closer to 85-90 points overall (which he would do the next year and the year after).

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote