Thread: Speculation: UFA Thread
View Single Post
Old
05-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Iron Duke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Brassard was an under achieving 2nd line center for the jackets for years. Wilson is not a comparable at all. Wilson was emerging and evolving. Brassard showed no inclination of improving. What has happened since is irrelevant.

But to clarify, Watson isn't a comparable to Brassard who was an NhL roster player for several years. I was merely pointing out that Watson isn't chopped liver and I think you are undervaluing our prospects to some degree. In an unrelated statement, I was saying the Gaborik deal could be a comparable in terms of value, not the Erat deal which was a deadline deal on an extremely affordable contract with less cash than actual cap hit. Those deals are not comparable IMO. Make sense?
I don't really agree with your assessment of Brassard at all. He was underachieving in perhaps the sense that 36, 47, 41 points is less than you would hope from a #6 overall pick (and a 2nd line center), but his production was very similar to what Wilson's is at a similar age and point in their career, and I would contend that he still has the ability and potential to be a good 2nd line center. I would agree that Wilson is looking to be the better player, but only if he continues to improve at the rate he showed during this season.

I think I undervalue prospects to a certain extent, but only because they tend to be significantly overvalued by a large section of our fanbase. However, I don't think Watson is a poor prospect, or lacks value, at all.