View Single Post
Old
05-13-2013, 09:30 PM
HabsByTheBay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
It isn't hockey, but I can't imagine any series in any sport having a greater seperation than the 1960 World Series. The Yankees lost to the Pirates in 7 games. The Yanks were in the World Series practically every year and this was no exception. They dominated the Pirates, and still lost:

Game 1 - Pirates 6-4
Game 2 - Yankees 16-3
Game 3 - Yankees 10-0
Game 4 - Pirates 3-2
Game 5 - Pirates 5-2
Game 6 - Yankees 12-0
Game 7 - Pirates 10-9

This was of course capped off by Bill Maseroski's World Series winning Home run in the 9th inning of Game 7.

This is just a World Series that would keep me up at nights if I had lost. Granted the Yankees won the next two World Series in a row, but how do you obliterate your opponent like that and lose? The Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27. They doubled them in runs and lost! That would make me ill.
Mantle said he cried the whole way home, as it was the only time he lost a World Series where he felt like the best team got beat. He lost five World Series in his career so it wasn't sour grapes.

Check out Game 7 if you can, it's on DVD and MLB Network shows it from time to time. It's maybe the best game ever.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote