View Single Post
Old
05-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I disagree. Vanek with 1 year left + 8th overall is fair value for the 4th overall+Ellis, though I wouldn't do it as Nashville . Teams look at a lot more then the players skill when making these trades; age, years left before RFA, contract & potential are big factors when you make a trade.

IIRC Ellis still has 6 years left before being an UFA, he still has top 4 potential, in the mold of a Shattenkirk type player. This draft has a couple of tiers, there's the top 4 of Jones, Mack, Drouin & Nichushkin, all have elite potential, then there is the 2nd tier which has Barkov & Lindholm, both have #1C potential & seems to be pretty safe bets to be at least NHL players. Add in one of the top prospects and that's 15 years of cost controlled contracts, Nashville doesn't give out huge 2nd contracts so they will save quite a bit of money in the coming years.

Nashville has never had a true #1C in their history, I can't see Nashville trading away Barkov/Lindholm for a Winger, no matter how good he is. You don't go anywhere by building your team around a Winger, look at Washington now & with Jagr, or Calgary with Iginla. You need to have a at the very least an Elite #2C to have a chance at the cup. Every team that has won the cup over the past 6 years has had incredible C depth, good/great D & a goalie that was good/amazing. Wingers are the least important position & you can without having an elite W.

If Buffalo wants to get the most value out of Vanek they'll trade him at the deadline, that runs the risk that he ***** the bed or he gets hurt and isn't tradeable. The other thing is if you're trading Vanek it's looking more like a 3+ year rebuild so saying you won't trade him in the East means you have 16 less teams to trade him to. The fact that of those 14 teams in the West only 2 or 3 have the cap space or are contenders that could use him you're severely limiting what you can get for him. The only way you get some of those deals is if you allow him to be traded in conference.
at least someone gets it

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote