View Single Post
Old
05-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am not saying that his bad playoffs was the reason they made the switch. It certainly was a part but the overarching point I am trying to make is that they went with a sure thing over potential. I know some of you seem to think that Bob was a lock to turn into a consistently good starter, but it is unrealistic to actually have that view based on ~60 games of NHL experience. Certainly a possibility, but not a certainty. Waiting could have worked out and Bob could have be what he is now. But it was equially as likely (if not more likely) that he never turns into that guy. They went with a guy who was already there.
For one, I don't agree with your assertion that it was equally likely that he would flop as it was that he'd succeed. This stuff isn't just up to chance, and all the signs that he'd be a successful goalie in the future were there. He had the right disposition, work ethic, physical gifts. His success is not a surprise to a lot of us, and a good portion of us were saying as much at the time.

And I think the assertion that Bryz was "already there" is still debatable after two seasons with the team. Bryz isn't any better than Bob was the year before we signed Bryz. I'd say he was probably worse actually.

My take on it is that the move was necessary given the corner he'd painted himself into by bringing Bryzgalov in. So if I was going to criticize anything it wouldn't be trading Bob so much as it would be the lack of patience they showed when they signed Bryzgalov. But wtf, time makes fools of us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Markstrom is the youngest actually. I could see Lehner take over the duties in Ottawa as well.
Duly noted, thanks.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote