View Single Post
Old
05-14-2013, 04:51 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If they wait 3 years, perhaps the team moves and no new building is built. How's that workin for ya?

Taxpayer dollars are spent on many things, including for profit business ventures. Lots of tax dollars went into WEM. Lots go into the oil patch as well. Those things provide some benefits to taxpayers, as would a new arena. Bringing world class entertainment to Edmonton benefits taxpayers. A new building helps facilitate that into the future.

Not sure how many games you are attending at Rexall these days, but besides the futility of the Oilers, attending the games is an arduous experience at best. No room on the concourse, long lineups for bathrooms and concessions, horrible food and very little to no amenities in the vicinity makes going to the games more of a chore than something to enjoy.

The city needs a new building. Forget about the Oilers and Katz. Does that have value to the taxpayer? I believe it does. The city and the Katz group have agreed to fund 90% of the project. They were counting on a minimal contribution from the provincial govt, but were not even able to get that, despite the many provincial tax payers who benefit from the hockey team and would benefit from a new building.

That is who is holding up the deal here. And they should be held to account for it. Yet there is scarcely a word mentioned about that here at all.
And you say I don't like you.

I always like to add how our money goes to the rest of the country and is helping fund entertainment venues as well.