The Armchair GM Thread - XL
View Single Post
05-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Join Date: May 2010
Why We Have Been Outed in the 1st Round 2 Years Running...Solutions?
So many different opinions about this. Some say AV's message is not getting through, others say its our lack of offensive depth or that we are not physical or we play a brand of hockey that doesn't 'work' anymore.
My thought is that we are trying to be
There was a time not too long ago when the nucks were a 4 line offensive juggernaut and had an offensive oriented back end. We could score at will, our PP was lethal, the twins would run circles around opposition defenses and Kesler could take over a game at will. We ran into the Bruins and lost some key/positional free agents and for some reason, lost our mantra.
This season I saw a team that didn't really have an identity. We have certain players that simply don't seem to fit with our system and more importantly, tried to play a brand of hockey that is not suited for the way this team is constructed.
I think AV is gone already (as much as I like and am a huge fan of his) but do think we have more systemic issues which need to be addressed with a change of several key personnel. I am not saying we need to blow it up (we have won the division 5 years straight) but we do need to stick to and build a team around an identity.
1. Get Luongo out of here...I know this is an obvious one but seriously; this was something that Gillis and co completely botched.
2. Ballard..I know another obvious one. He does not fit here and does not play the game that the Canucks play.
3. Support the Sedins and Kesler with real talent. We have a wealth of guys that are not legitimate top six forwards but play a top 6 role with the Canucks. Some claim this gives us depth, IMO, this mis-allocates precious cap dollars to have quantity v. quality. I am referring to:
- Hansen (3rd liner)
- Raymond (3rd liner)
- Higgins (3rd liner)
- Burrows (fringe 2nd liner IMO, I know I will get grilled for this...)
- Kassian (3rd liner)
- Booth (fringe 2nd liner)
Thats ~11m right there for this last season tied up to 6 guys many of who, have taken turns playing in our top 6.
4. Strong, physical players. No I don't mean goons and no I am not saying we need Lucic (would be great to have him though). We need guys who can round out our offensive talent with speed, corner play, tenacity, clutching and grabbing, crease crashing, big hits, after the whistle nastiness etc. We do have some of this in our line-up but the players representing this role are not made for it. Take Hansen for example. Fast guy and proved this year he can pitch in offensively. Do you think should be pushing and shoving trying to throw his weight around? Look at Burrows, do we need the most penalized player in the league who isn't very big yapping and trying to close out his hits.
5. Use our youth. Yes Gillis spoke about this but I think many of us know that the Canucks organization has failed to give guys good shots in the big league. I will leave it at that for this one.
Solutions - New Look
*Note these are the trades/moves I would consider. No idea how plasable these are, I am not a NHL GM. I would assume this may be possible; however, I am thinking more for the type of player not so much for the specific individual I have denoted
1. TRADE Luongo for Picks
2. AMNESTY Booth
3. TRADE Burrows + Pick acquired in Luongo trade? for Hartnell
4. TRADE Higgins and Schroeder for Tinordi + Moen
5. TRADE Ballard + pick acquired in Luongo trade? for Okposo
6. SIGN Torress
7. SIGN Smithson
8. RESIGN Tanev
9. RECALL Gaunce
10. RECALL Jensen
My Custom Lineup
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Add ZK gives us grit and protection for the twins. Regardless of his production, he is a great fit here if we want him to grow into what he needs to.
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Kyle Okposo ($2.800m)
Size does matter. Both Hartness and Okposo are north south big guys. This line will be fast and act to add some sandpaper to support the twins. Okposo is only 25 but has seen declining production for the Isles. They are a team that will need defense given Streit is a free agent. As for Hartnell, Philly has very similar players, he didn't play much last year but he is exactly what we need.
Raffi Torres ($2.000m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
The do it all line. These guys can hit, play a two way game, chip in offensively and insulate the top 6 group. Love Torres.
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Jerred Smithson ($1.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
The do it all line. These guys can hit, play a two way game, chip in offensively and insulate the top 6 group.
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Chris Tanev ($2.000m) / Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m)
Add Tinordi who is a big nasty dman.
Frank Corrado ($0.599m) /
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by K35L3R