View Single Post
Old
05-15-2013, 01:20 AM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

vCash: 500
So funny that I would stumble upon this thread, since some co-workers and I were just having this discussion the other day. I think that there is no NHL comparison for the futility of the Chicago Cubs - there can't be (honestly, I wouldn't wish that kind of misery on anyone). I think the Blues/Cubs comparison gets brought up mostly due to the close geographical proximity of the two teams - many Blues fans, like myself, are from Illinois and are very familiar with the Cubs (my sister is a huge fan) and try to draw similarities.

For the record, I feel that losing in the playoffs is MUCH worse than missing the playoffs altogether. As such, I think it's too hard to compare our playoff struggles with ANY baseball team for that matter, based on the fact that so few teams make the MLB playoffs each year, as compared to the NHL. Yes, you could argue that we had some mediocre teams make the playoffs, but we still MADE the playoffs and once you get there anything can happen. You can't simply compare us to the Rangers/Astros/Brewers because they haven't won Championships either - have they had the same crushing playoff defeats that we've endured? Maybe if you combine all three you'd be close.

If you look back over the past few decades, I think the closest comparison would be to the city of Cleveland. Not one team, ALL three of them (Cavs, Indians, Browns). But to be more specific, the Cavs of the late 80's and early 90's vividly remind me of the Blues during the 90's - stuck in a division with perennial Championship contenders (Bulls/Red Wings, Pistons/Blackhawks). Since 1980, and the beginning of their 25-year playoff streak, the Blues record in playoff series is 17-28. In that same time frame, the combined playoff record of the three Cleveland teams is 21-31. The main difference is that Cleveland's demoralizing playoff defeats all happened in the final moments ("The Drive", Jordan over Ehlo, Byner's fumble, Renteria's bloop single), while with the exception of the Yzerman OT goal, the Blues' losses were of the anguishing "slow burn" variety where we had to watch helplessly as our team couldn't respond to a crushing goal (Nolan from center-ice, Penner with 0.2 left in the 2nd).

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote