View Single Post
Old
05-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Conkanen*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Keeping in mind the division the Oilers are headed into the season, the outlook looks bleak given the core management has assembled. I'm not doubting the superstar potential of Hall/RNH/Eberle/Yakupov, but I just don't feel they are playing in a division where they'll be able to thrive.

If those 4 were in the East you could probably add 5-10pt over an 82 game season to their point totals. The style, system, and scoring in that conference is ridiculously different than the West.

When you have Hall/RNH/Yakupov/Eberle (avg weight 185) as your core forwards heading forward up against other teams' cores in Getzlaf/Perry/Etem/Ryan (avg weight 210), Thornton/Marleau/Couture/Pavelski (avg weight 209), and Kopitar-Brown-Carter-Richards (avg weight 212), you're bound to lose the match-up. These players are every bit as skilled and talented as our stars, and in some cases just as fast (Marleau/Richards/Brown). On top of it all they're taller, heavier, and stronger. It's why the Oilers struggled so poorly vs those California teams earlier this season.
I agree with you on the whole size but it's not a fair comparison in terms of physical maturity. The Oiler core is made up of kids. We have to give em time to bulk up and grow into their bodies. No they won't ever be as big as those other teams but adding 10-15 lbs of muscle in the next couple years or so will go a long way.