View Single Post
Old
05-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this?
Are you saying that it was a mistake to draft Hall (wing) over Seguin (supposedly a center), RNH (forward) over Larsson (defense) and Yakupov (wing) over Murray (defense) or Galchenyuk (center)?
Where did they have the opportunity to draft multi-faceted excellence over one dimensional skill?

The drafting has been fine, they have gone with a mix of high end forwards, defense and grittiness in the lower rounds over the last several drafts although Musil over Jenner was a head scratcher. The draftees are the least of the problems with this team. It's the pro scouting and the filling out of the rest of the roster through smart trades and free agency that has been the problem. That's where the fundamental issues lie, the amateur scouting is fine.

Anyway, i'm starting to be really intrigued by Horvat. I haven't really keyed in on him during the few London games that i've seen but it seems that his meteoric rise has some merit to it and he happens to fill a need.
Does anybody know much about Horvat from first hand viewings? How does he compare to Lazar, Monahan etc. in regards to his 2 way game and physicality?
It's going to be a fun Memorial Cup watching the obvious studs in Jones, Mac and Drouin but also the highly rated London prospects as well, Horvat, Zadarov, Domi.
I've seen Horvat about a dozen times, though never live.

I think he and Lazar are pretty good comparables. Lazar is more overtly physical in that he is a a bigger hitter and is more likely to scrap. Horvat is very gritty though. He goes to all the tough areas and is strong along the boards.

I think Horvat may have a little more dynamic offense at the next level but Lazar may score more goals. It looks to me like Lazar is the faster skater but Horvat is no slouch.

Both play in all situations and neither seems to have a significant weakness. I have a personal preference for Lazar since I have followed him since early last year. That said I'd take either an be happy.

Monahan I think is in a tier above these guys. I watched him a lot in 2010-2011 since I was trying to keep track of Martindale. He really impressed me as a 16 year old. I watched him a fair bit in 2011-2012. He looked fantastic with Prince and Toffoli. No doubt he could excel with skilled wingers. You could also see that he had a very well rounded game as he was clearly most reponsible defensively in that trio.

I did not see him play much this year as I did not have the OHL package. But I tried to keep up with him as much as possible. What I did see of Ottawa though showed me that they were an awful team with Monahan pretty much trying to hold things together bu himself for much of the year. He really rose to the occasion in this regard. His 78 points is actually quite remarkable given the team he had around him.

I don't see Monahan as a dynamic player lik Hall or Yakupov. BUt he is pretty much just what the doctor ordered to complement Nuge. He is also another great character kid which I think is really important to the Oilers.

People say his skating is a bit of an issue, but I don't really see a problem. He is certainly not fast like Hall or Yakupov, but I'd say he skates as well as a guy like Gagner or Eberle. I doubt it would be a problem on the Oilers. He won't have to be leading the rush.

Like Horvat, I think he is less overtly physical than Lazar. BUt he can and will hit, and even fight if necessary. What he will do is battle hard, and he is strong enough to compete against the more physical centers in the West.

Of course Monahan is older than both Lazar and Horvat but a good part of a year. But I still think he is a full step above both in terms of potential.