Old
05-15-2013, 10:58 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I don't see what the problem with going "all in" is. What would be the benefit of standing pat as opposed to signing a top-6 forward in UFA?

Or if we decide to go the trade route, (e.g. trade the equivalent of 3 1sts for Vanek), our roster will be set to be a legit contender for at least the next 3 years. During that time we'll acquire more prospects to replace what we've given up.

Our team has significant trouble scoring, and it would be bad asset management to let the Sedins waste away the last of their prime with a team that can't make it out of the 1st round. We need an impact top-6 winger if we want any shot at the cup any time soon.
Thomas Vanek doesn't make this team a legitimate contender for next year, let alone the next three years. Unless we can get a steal of a trade, a steal of an RFA (like Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk), AND an impact UFA signing (like Iginla) I don't see how this team can be considered anywhere near being a contender. We need to stop living in the past and accept that this team has regressed. We can either make big changes (going all in with be changes I mentioned above and nothing less, or we can retool/rebuild and go young giving hope for the future) or we can continue to fade into mediocrity and become the new Calgary Flames.