View Single Post
Old
05-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Thomas Vanek doesn't make this team a legitimate contender for next year, let alone the next three years. Unless we can get a steal of a trade, a steal of an RFA (like Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk), AND an impact UFA signing (like Iginla) I don't see how this team can be considered anywhere near being a contender. We need to stop living in the past and accept that this team has regressed. We can either make big changes (going all in with be changes I mentioned above and nothing less, or we can retool/rebuild and go young giving hope for the future) or we can continue to fade into mediocrity and become the new Calgary Flames.
There's no way we can fit all that under the cap. Our defense is fine as is, and there's no way St. Louis doesn't match Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk's offer sheets.

I think we have a hole at top-6 wing and it needs to be addressed, but if you think we need a top-6 wing, and a franchise/top-pairing defenseman, and a "steal of a trade(for what?)" in order to just be "near" contending, then you are grossly underestimating this team.