Thread: Derek Dorsett
View Single Post
05-15-2013, 11:54 AM
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Prust's style of antagonizing usuallty led to fights. There's much less of that in the playoffs. This is why Dorsett is so much more effective -- he's a better hockey player.

Pyatt is always a playoff guy. Sleepwalks through the season and then gets motivated. Same the last couple of years in Phoenix.
I disagree. Well not really since I obviously agree on Prust playing an antagonizing style of hockey and Dorsett being the better player. I just don't think fighting was what made Prust a valuable guy for us.

He doesn't have much for hands, but he's a very good skater. For a third/fourth line tweener checking player, he's pretty fast. He doesn't get all those shorties in 2010/11 without his speed.

I also think his positioning - offensive and defensive, was severely under appreciated when he was here. On offense he got himself in a position to play the puck, and in his own zone he always got in the passing lanes. He was a huge part of the reason why the FBP-line was so effective in their own zone, and why our pk was so good. The fact that he would also take on heavy weights not being a big guy himself was just a bonus.

I think the reason why he disappeared in the playoffs was his lack of puck handling ability, which got more noticeable when he got less space.