View Single Post
Old
05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
It must be noted, however, that the word on the street is that although Saskatchewan and Alberta do throw some big coin at players (i can't speak for the OUA but i am sure it happens as well) UNB, SMU, SFX and even UPEI are known to toss even bigger coin at top players. Logic tells us that you would not have Western Canadian players (and their girlfriends, who mysteriously get scholarships as well) moving out to the East Coast for a few extra shekels. there is big money involved.
Long past tired of these insinuations with no fact behind them. Did you hear if from your buddy, whose girlfriend's friend heard it from a hockey player at a bar who was hitting on her and trying to explain why his team wasn't as competitive as an AUS team?

CIS teams all have the same maximum inducement that they can offer an individual hockey (or any sport) recruit: an Athletic Financial Award not to exceed the cost of tuition and fees. If your tuition is more than your competitors, such as Acadia, you can offer more money, but it is still a "salary cap". And they can't offer the full amount to everyone -- just to 70% of a 20-man roster, so 14 guys can be given the max (unless they are Academic All-Canadians, when they don't count against the team cap, but you still can't go over the individual AFA limits).

So if a stud recruit can't get more money from one school than another, what gives? Well, as others have already pointed out, many AUS schools and hockey programs have prioritized the resources they put into their AFA "pool". I don't know if any OUA teams "max out" their hockey AFA's, but most in the AUS come close. When you have more money to distribute, more players get AFAs -- simple math as a result of priority setting.

But, you'd be better off to stop fixating on the money. If all schools have a similar maximum limit for AFAs, then a stud recruit doesn't think about the money. Then it becomes the number one reason players tell me they come to the AUS: to play competitive hockey in a good conference where you have a legitimate chance to play for a national championship AND develop your game so you can get that pro offer after your AUS career (and maybe be the next Joel Ward or Kevin Henderson).

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote