View Single Post
Old
05-15-2013, 02:35 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Wolves resigned Climie to a 2 year deal. Might be difficult for Binnington to see significant playing time.
Not unexpected. Been saying for awhile that one big issue with the new AHL affiliation is likely getting only one goaltender maximum to develop there. Binnington will probably have two years as a backup unless he outright steals the job (something to watch for us). But it also further makes likely Halak is gone because Allen needs to play somewhere and Blues backup looks like that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Good story about Rattie winning the WHL playoff MVP.

Some key points for me when it comes to next year:

The knock on Rattie has been his size, his skating and his defensive responsibility. But he said this week that he's made improvements in all of those areas.

"I'm 6-foot, 180 (pounds)," Rattie said. "That's up big time. I think the last time you saw me I was 165-70. And I look to put on another 5-10 pounds this summer."

The winger's skating hasn't been as fluid as NHL scouts would like for an offensive prospect, but Rattie says that is an area, too, that has changed for the better.

"I think my skating is night and day from when I came into the WHL," he said. "Skating was a knock on me and I really worked on it, and now I feel like skating is one of my strong suits. You're not going to play in the NHL if you're not a good skater."
Every interview I've ever seen Ty Rattie give I come away with the impression of someone utterly determined to be an impact NHL player. There are guys you trust to provide internal pressure from within to make themslves better and I'm sure when the Blues first drafted him they understood this from his interviews. To this point, he's backed it all up with improvement. If he shows up at camp 185-190 and better skating he's going to have a legitimate shot at the roster sooner rather than later.

He reminds me of Schwartz in the clutch element part. Even two years ago when he potted 9 in the playoffs (his draft year) they were clutch goals, Game 7 goals, overtime goals. He's not afraid of the moment, much like Schwartz showed us this past season.

We've all been talking about improvement needs and a rookie who's borderline to make the team next season is probably not the immediate answer but I'm certainly open to him making himself indispensable sooner than later because of his ability to find open ice and get off that insanely accurate release.