View Single Post
Old
05-15-2013, 02:41 PM
ganave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I want tot start playing hockey. It's a great game, but unfortunately my mother is not a fan. So, I'll wait until I can leave the house. Well, I tried skating, and my forward skating is OK, but I absolutely cannot skate backwards. How do I practice. Also, I would really like to learn how to play goalie, because that is one of the most epic positions in sports.
I find being a goalie very rewarding, but it is very expensive to start even if you buy almost everything used.

Goalie Pants
Goalie Jock
Throat guard
Helmet
Dangler for helmet
Knee Guards
Blocker
Catcher
Skates
Chest and Arm Protector
Sticks
Leg Pads

You might be able to put together a decent set of used gear for about $1K USD

You'll also need to be on the ice at least 2 to 3 times a week and not be afraid of the puck or getting the absolute crap kicked out of you. In a game last night I was making scrambling saves on my belly with 4 or 5 players within stick length of me are doing all they can to push the puck loose before a whistle is blown. Most of the goalies protection is towards the front. I got clobbered in my calves, thighs, armpits, etc.

I'd say get a pair of ice skates and take a learn to skate class. If you can get a cheap pair of player elbow pads, pants and kneepads that will keep you from getting hurt while you push your skating to improve.

Good luck!

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote