View Single Post
Old
05-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Adityase

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Yeah the 94 Wings/Sharks series is talked about way too much. I think a lot of Wings fans became Wings fans on the hype of that team and weren't aware that the Sharks had put together a solid team by the end of that season. And Wings fans back then knew the goalie situation prevented us from being a real contender. Frankly, the 93 loss to Toronto was more disappointing to me personally.

Also the 96 team had the misfortune of having the great and up and coming Nordiques moved into their conference. They beat us in the opening game that season if I remember right. There's no shame in the Wings and Avs losing to each other during that time. It was only shocking to Wings fans who didn't realize the 1 seed from the east with a stacked but young roster had just been dumped into the west. The real kicker in that series was Coffey's hat trick in game one. If only all 3 goals came against the other team. I'm also surprised someone mentioned 99 and 00. Again it's not our fault we played the Avs in the second round. 99 hurt winning the first 2 on the road but the comeback from an 0-2 deficit has become much more common...

The 01 loss also isn't a choke in my book. Yzerman, Fedorov and Shanny were all injured. And I still swear one of Deadmarsh's goals never actually crossed the goal line. But that's another story.

The real choke for the Wings. 03! This was the defending champs with the hall of fame roster and they were swept out. Sure Giggy deserves credit, but swept? They were still full on the 02 cup and didn't try very hard. Is that a choke? I think so. Just didn't show up.

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote