View Single Post
Old
05-15-2013, 06:44 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I've always felt that OKC puts too much of an emphasis on winning instead of developing their prospects. Honestly, I think winning at the AHL is slightly overrated. I'll probably get blasted for that but I don't see a guy like Arcobello ever being a meaningful oiler. I mean, it's hard to become a top 6-9 player at the NHL level when you aren't even given the opportunity to be a top 6 player at the AHL level.

Both Pitlick and Hamilton looked great in Junior and for whatever reason couldn't make the jump to the AHL. Both were well over P/G players in the WHL just 1 year after they were drafted.
It creates the winning mentality. I agree with it in that regard, but you've gotta find the balance. Right now I think they've found it though, they've got Rajala and Lander as their top players, and Marincin is anchoring the back end. Guys like Pitlick and Hamilton just haven't panned out for whatever reason, still too early to say they're busts. I think OKC is actually doing a really good job right now. You can't just give those kind of guys the ice just because they were high picks, still have to make them earn it.