View Single Post
05-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Cake or Death
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I'm in the same boat Greg. I need help figuring out where to put Tkaczuk relative to Watson. I currently have Colville above both.
One thing jumped at me, because with all this different era stuff we have to contend with, I am reading up on the guys - how they played D, what their contemporaries and historians said about them, etc. Regarding Watson I read this:

"Watson was a key player in the spring of 1940, when the New York Rangers famously won the Stanley Cup. Watson was brilliant in the semi-finals against Boston, checking the famed "Kraut Line," who finished 1-2-3 in NHL regular season scoring. Watson held them to just a lone goal in their six game series. Watson, meanwhile, scored twice, including the winner in game one. Watson would do a similar defensive job against Toronto, while adding 5 points in the finals."

Might help explain that retro Smythe going to Watson. If you're checking a line that finished 1-2-3 in scoring and hold them to one goal, that's beastly. FWIW, the same person I quoted above had this to say about Tkaczuk:

"If they ever designate a league wide trophy for the most underrated player in the National Hockey League, they should name it the Walt Tkaczuk Award.

He was never an explosive scorer but he did collect 227 goals in his 13 year career, all spent with the New York Rangers from 1968 through 1981. He was much better at moving the puck, as his 451 career assists attest. All in all, he was a consistent 20 goal, 60 point threat.

But Tkaczuk's biggest contribution to the Rangers was his using of his hockey intelligence to develop into a sparkling defensive forward, especially as a penalty killer. He was among the league's elite shadows and faceoff men too."