View Single Post
Old
05-16-2013, 08:55 AM
henchman24
If and if...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Stastny has been unbelievable this tournament. The Avs should trade for Craig Smith and David Moss just to keep that chemistry going. And bring back Sacco

But in truth Sacco has done a good job this tournament. He's taken a group of unheralded Americans to the semi-finals. I hope he catches on somewhere as an assistant or something.

Varlamov, ugh. It's not just this game, he's been bad whenever he's played this tournament. I'm actually a bit worried. He was bad to end the season on both continents. Hopefully he sees a lot of rubber over the summer to get his confidence back.
I said a week or two ago that Sacco would do much better than his roster should, and that is because his system works extremely well on bigger ice. There is way less forchecking pressue and the D can easily carry to the puck to the top of the faceoff circles, and then they have room to make a good outlet pass. The problem Sacco had on the small ice is that he couldn't adapt his system once teams figured out that if you put a lot of pressure on the defense they can't complete an outlet pass and the system falls apart (it doesn't help that a lot of his defense couldn't complete a 15' pass to save their lives).

As for Stastny, it is great to see him playing well when he is being relied upon. He needs to bring that back to the NHL next year and play as the 20g 50a player is is very capable of being (a big part of that is coaches using him correctly). If he comes back at that level, there is no reason to trade him and the Avs should try everything the can to keep him in an Avalanche uniform. Having 3 centers like Duchene, Stastny, and ROR would be a great thing going forward even if it costs 19-20m to keep them all.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote