View Single Post
Old
05-16-2013, 09:42 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Dolan eats $24 million in real dollars if they choose to buyout Richards this off-season. $18 million if they wait til June 2014. I think they wait until 2014 and allow Richards another year. Even if he does rebound next year I don't see any way that they don't use that extra compliance buyout on him.
Except you're not factoring in the $9MM in salary that you have to pay him next year if you wait. You actually SAVE real dollars by buying him out this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I just don't see the reason not to give him one more year.

The odds of him suffering a long injury are small. Having a Brad Richards, even a half-Richards like we had this season can make the difference between winning and losing.

We will have to buy him out after next year. That seems a certainty. But I don't think we'll have a problem re-signing everyone with him on the cap, and I don't see a UFA option out there that I would rather have for a year than Richards at that number. Like his play or not, there is still a decent chance he can be a 60 point center over the duration of a full season. Lindberg wouldn't be.
Brad Richards is now the 3rd/4th line center on this team. That guy can't take up 11% of your cap. Even if he returns to form (and you can't keep him around on a hope), he won't put up 60 points playing in that role. As to injuries, the odds are not THAT small - look at how many guys we have out right now (and every year) and don't forget that Brad's got a concussion history.

Not using the compliance buyout on him this summer would be an enormous mistake IMO.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote