View Single Post
Old
05-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Chief

vCash: 500
I have to be honest that I don't see a logical argument for Ratelle being over Boucher or Messier. Originally, these were my top 3...but it quickly became a 2 horse race between Boucher and Messier - and the big factor there was Stanley Cups (and as part of that playoff performances).

I believed the scoring stats were a wash and I originally gave the nod to Boucher because he had 2 Cups. However, when I looked at what each player/team had to accomplish winning the Cup, I then saw that as a wash as well. Without repeating much of what I posted in the prior thread on this Top 10, Boucher's 1st Cup team won 5 games. For their second, the won between 5 and 7. Messier's Cup team had to win 16 games. I thought that degree of difficulty was enough to even the comparison regarding Championships.

So then I was left to look at other factors and I gave the edge to Messier for the following reasons:

1) Messier's Hart Trophy (and the Pearson, voted on by the players);
2) The fact that Messier accomplished something as a Ranger no other player had done, which was Captain a 2nd organization to a Cup.
3) He was the Captain by which all Captain's are judged. (Heck he's even got a leadership award named after him.)
4) ...and perhaps most impressive to me, he came to NY facing the daunting task of winning a Cup for an organization who hadn't won one in 40+ seasons. For too long my mantra as a Rangers fan was "Hey, you make the playoffs and you never know what can happen." That changed with Messier and a President's Trophy was quite the accomplishment. In any event, the challenge to deliver that Cup was immense..and he did...and in spectacular fashion with "The Guarantee". The stuff legends are made of.

So I currently have Messier #1...Boucher #2.

Ratelle became the clear #3 to me on my list. Long tenure as a Ranger. High level of play...but no Cups - which is really what they play for, right?...and Ratelle was disappointing in the playoffs. Maybe he should drop lower on my list because of the latter but what he did for so long keeps him #3 for me.

#'s 4 - 10 are much more difficult for me.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote