View Single Post
05-16-2013, 11:22 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
Wait so this is actually a story?

I am no historian, but I did take a course on WW II in college. I believe what he was saying is that without Stalin they would have stayed in depression / etc until someone else did what Stalin did. If you learn about the start of WW I and WW II, people latched onto Hitler for a reason. They were paying for a loaf of bread with a wheelbarrel full of money (inflation) and things were pretty ****ed up. You bring in a guy who brings back stability and you start to look past other things you might not agree with.

I don't know much about Stalin and the history of Russia, but these types of leaders would have existed with different names if they hadn't taken power. They are able to rebuild the country with an "iron fist" or what have you. You may not agree with it, but it builds stability and I think that's what he is saying....

EDIT: Oliver Stone Said the following and got attacked....

Discussing his Showtime series "Oliver Stone's Secret History Of America" on Jan. 9, 2010, Stone said, among other things: "Hitler is an easy scapegoat throughout history and it's been used cheaply. We can't judge people as only 'bad' or 'good'. (Hitler) is the product of a series of actions. It's cause and effect. People in America don't know the connection between WWI and WWII. ... I've been able to walk in Stalin's shoes and Hitler's shoes, to understand their point of view. You cannot approach history unless you have empathy for the person you may hate." Carlo Allegri/The Associated Press
Photo: R-Allegri

Read more:
Well, I did study Russian history. When the Bolsheviks took power from the Tsar, Russia was a backward, defenceless rural power.

Lenin and Trotsky, and later Stalin, were all about nationalizing the land to liberate people from being peasant-slaves and industrializing the country to catch up to the rest of Europe.

As brutal as Stalin was, when he took over, he industrialized the country in a very few short years - explicitly out of fear of being overrun by the Germans.

You can look it up in the Soviet Congress documents as early as 1929. He accurately predicted that the brutal WWI reparations forced on it were going to turn Germany into an aggressor state again. He even predicted that within 10 years Germany would be sending armies east to get the Ukrainian grainfields. He was spot on.

It's true that he was unforgiveably brutal to many of his own people, but the steel mills and factories he willed into existence saved the rest the country, and the rest of Europe, from German domination.

If he had not created industrial-military capacity capable of resisting the Germans as well as they did, within in a generation, Hitler would have made it through the Soviet Union as easily as he did through Poland, i.e. a walk in the park. The Polish horses and bayonnets left over from WWI were just speed bumps that didn't even delay the Nazi tanks, planes and artillery as they dashed across the place.

Stalin then proceeded to lead the Soviet Union as they carried the war effort vs. the Nazis for a couple years, losing millions of soldiers and civilians in the process while the Brits dawdled and the Yanks stayed neutral so they could cash in by selling oil and Ford engines to both sides.

Bryzgalov is a very intelligent man. I'm quite confident he has forgotton more about history than that idiot intern reporter will ever know.

There were no angels fighting on any side of that war, 60+ years of propaganda notwithstanding. Stone was right.

It wasn't like the West doesn't have its share of shame for looking the other way during the Holocaust or dropping nukes on unsuspecting civilians.

There may be many reasons for buying Bryz out, but his intellectual curiosity about the greatest leader in history of his motherland is not one of them.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote