View Single Post
Old
05-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
There are 4 teams in the OHL with arena capacities =>6,000 and 3 of them have hosted the last 4 cups. Guelph pulled out of bidding this year and Barrie lost out, again. Realistically, this was a great opportunity for the league to give it to a smaller team (Barrie), given that London hosted so recently and Windsor stunk. Putting a bid together takes a significant amount of time and money from the team, as well as external partners such as sponsors, community,etc... If I am the owner of a smaller team, why would I put forth the effort, when the writing seems to be on the wall.
And while this seems to make sense, I see it as a cop-out. Barrie didn't get it this year not because of arena etc. They had city $ backing. It was their returning roster vs London's. Not even close. Guelph with their roster and everything they bring, I betcha it would have been almost a tie with London....a tie that London would have lost, due to the fact the hosted in 05. But this year because it was never close (it really wasn't), they 'had' to choose London. If I was a Guelph fan I would be furious that the powers that be didn't even try to get in on it. Can you imagine the world we would live in if all the 'smaller' entities said, "oh im not going to try because they look bigger and stronger". Weak excuses.