View Single Post
Old
05-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
What? Doughty made 875K his final year before the new contract, so using your "formula", he got a 800% raise.

And you are looking at this the wrong way. What Voynov is currently making is irrelevant, completely. Looking at % raises is something I have never seen, because that is not the way the NHL works at all. This is not like a normal job where you slowly work your way up. NHL players use comparables to leverage as much money as possible as early as possible, and there contracts can fluctuate up and down over their career. Looking at % raises is not the right way to address this situation.

Voynov is proving himself to be a legitmate top 4 defenseman. Matt Greene managed to get 2.95 million. Voynov is a hell of a lot better Matt Greene. I think it will take at least 3.5million per to lock him up, if we are not going to buy any UFA years (it 7mil/2y, 10.5mil/3y). That's the minimum. Probably more. If we want to buy any UFA years (5/6/7y deals), that cost goes up. This kid is a stud and will get paid one way or the other.

The players I used for comps were guys like OEL ($5.250mper) JSchiltz (elc $3.35) and Carlson ($3.967) to name a few. I then looked at the current projections for each of these players salaries over the next few years and came up with what I believe to be the high end of what VV will make for next year.

The reason I use next year as a qualifier is that is all that was pertinent to the thread but I believe that VV will get a contract that will pay him between $4.5 and $5.2m for at least 5 years when we do sign him. I just think it will be offset giving us a little room next season.

I do agree that the idea of using percentages to determine a players fiscal value to a team isn't right but figured it was for another thread. The whole idea that you can determine a players pay based on a certain percentage increase being what is acceptable or not doesn't make any sense if it is being used as the only determining factor.

Doughty's raise was my first thought too.