View Single Post
05-16-2013, 04:14 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I see no evidence that our core group is worse than Boston's, San Jose's, St. Louis', Anaheim's or Ottawa's. Detroit would be very arguable considering their best D is Kronwall and their G is Howard.
I wouldn't put St. Louis in the same place as any of those teams including Vancouver. They do not have top line talent IMO. There leading scorer last year was 74th in scoring. This year Stewart was the leading scorer and was a reasonable 35th, but Backes their second leading scorer was 101st. Guys like Backes, Oshie and Steen are fine players but you really want them cast into the second line type of role.

And given the potential budget crunch the Blues will have they may find themselves losing Stewart and/or Shattenkirk. The Bouwmeester acquisition really hurts them if they maintain an internal budget well below the cap like they have.

I can only imagine if Backes and Oshie formed the major part of the canucks core what people would be saying about Backes' 7 points in 15 games and Oshie's 5 points in 15 the past two playoff years..... Yet, the Blues shouldn't expect much more production from those types of guys (especially when having to go against a teams best defensive units). The issue with them is opposite IMO to that of the canucks. The canucks lack quality playoff depth up front while the Blues lack quality talent up front right now.

Btw I didn't cherry pick Backes and Oshie:

Steen: 6 pts in 15 games
Perron: 7 pts in 15 games
Stewart: 3pts in 13 games
Pietrangelo: 7pts in 15 games.....that one is good for D-man.
Berglund: 9pts in 15 games....not bad actually but it would get him crucified as a canuck.

Last edited by tantalum: 05-16-2013 at 04:24 PM.