View Single Post
Old
05-16-2013, 03:54 PM
tsanuri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
So Voynov gets a 600% increase in his salary after 45 points in 102 NHL Games played and 7 points in 27 playoff games? I seriously doubt that. Look, I'm as big a VV26 fan as anyone but I can't see DL giving him that huge a raise after backing up the truck on Doughty. DD8 was a Norris Trophy finalist and he got a tad over a 200% raise after 126 points in 240 games and 11 points in 12 playoff games. VV26 wasn't the 2nd overall pick in the draft and he hasn't accomplished nearly as much as Doughty had after his ELC was completed.

Maybe he's offered $3M AT BEST (which is still almost a 400% raise). If he gets an offer sheet for more (which isn't a guarantee and will only happen if negotiations drag on I believe), fine, you pretty much have to match unless it's for the numbers YOU'RE talking about but 3YR/$9M is about the most DL should do. That gets VV26 to age 26 as FA and plenty of time for him to earn a huge deal.

I mean Erik Karlsson's career numbers are WAAAAAY better than VV26's, he won the Norris Trophy and he didn't even get a 600% raise.

I think you need to rethink VV26's contract demands.
That's if you count all performance bonuses. Which for the most part are almost never earned. But Karlsson got 500% even counting those bonuses. When looking at stats one of the closest comps is OEL. I don't think he should get as much as him because VV is not our number 1 that goes to DD. But I have said all along I think 3.5 is the starting point. And I really hope we can get him there. But I can see something up to the 5M mark happening. I'm hoping for a 2 year deal just to let the cap go up and DL to maybe offer 3M next and 4M the year after which would be the 3.5M and show VV that if he continues to perform that he will get into that 5-5.5M range in 2 years.
I think VV numbers could go way up if he got time on the number 1 PP. But the team has chosen to run with 4 forwards on that unit. But having DD with VV would make very hard choices for every team that plays us. You can't cover both points very well.