View Single Post
Old
05-16-2013, 07:29 PM
hobarth

vCash: 500
I'd rather keep Komo on the farm for one more year and buy out Liles and Grabo because you can only buy out 2 players and we are going to be stuck with these 2 for 7 more years while Komo's contract is for just 1 more year. I'm assuming all 3 are not tradeable.

Fraser has no upside, he's decent against other teams 3rd and 4th lines but a nightmare against 1st or 2nd lines. However he does give TO playable muscle as opposed to McLaren and Orr so keep Fraser as a 7th d-man. I'd say the same might apply to O'Byrne.

Tyler Bozak has been a crutch that TO coaches have relied on as an option for 1st line center in lieu of a proper 1st line center. I would like the crutch removed so the search for a proper 1st line center is more earnestly pursued.

I don't see any particular need for McLaren or Orr, staged fights hold no particular value at least in my eyes .

Komarov the human pinball has 4th line upside only so only resign his as a 4th liner.

Colborne may become an adequate 3rd liner but I don't think his upside goes beyond that, Frattin too.

I also think Kostka has more to give and when he becomes more seasoned he may surprise us.

Looking forward I see TO's roster minus the deadwood/expedables as;

1st Line: Lupul/ ? /Kessel

2nd line:JVR/Kadri/ ?

3rd line: ? /Colborne/Frattin

4th line:Kule/McClement/Komarov

Defensive pairings:

Phanny/Gardiner

Gunnar/Ranger

Franson/Reilly

Fraser/Kostka

Goaltending seems reasonable.

1st line center, 2nd line RW and 3rd line LW is what is missing that should push TO from pretender to contender. Mac could probably fill the 3rd line LW position but not at his current salary.

Outside of Ranger and Reilly I don't see the minors or junior/college being a source to fill any of these positions. Clarkson may be a great fit on the 2nd line as a physical presence but he's only had 2 productive NHL seasons so relying on him for offense is risky and any player on the first 2 lines must be able to provide some offensive value.

hobarth is offline   Reply With Quote