Scottie Upshall - Brendan Gaunce - Zack Kassian
Dale Weise

Alexander Edler - Toni Lydman
Dan Hamhuis - Frank Corrado
Jason Garrison - Chris Tanev
Andrew Alberts

Cory Schneider
Eddie Lack

Deal Booth, Ballard, Luongo for whatever futures you can get. At least of them should return something, buyout the rest.
Trade Bieksa to TBL for Purcell.
Sign Lydman (no NTC!!) and promote Corrado, keep AA around for insurance.
Sign Filppula
Sign Regin and amnestied Upshall for cheap
Start with Gaunce with an experienced core that has a lot of competition and pieces that can be traded in the middle of the season if they fall out with the new coach / lose their role.

Bolded names to illustrate the volume of change in the roster from last year.
The idea of signing someone like Upshall after an 'amnesty buyout' by Florida is somewhat enticing. I'd be curious to see what sort of dollar figure a new deal for Upshall would land with. He's a respectable gritty 3rd liner when healthy, but he hasn't been healthy all that often. So i think you're still looking at a decent salary.

And if he's going to cost a decent amount still, ie $1.5M+ which seems very likely...he's essentially a less durable Higgins-type. Which isn't a bad thing...but i think we really do need more 'high end' players, more so than more '3rd liner' types (on the wing at least).

If Upshall does end up Amnesty'd...Edmonton just seems like too good of a fit to not happen. But who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
If you guys aren't going to put Schroeder in your lineups then at least trade him. Losing him on waivers would be ridiculously stupid.
The Schroeder situation is such a tricky one. Do we stick him on the roster as #3C just because we have no where else to put him, and can't keep him in the minors? I just don't see how Schroeder as the full time #3C really 'improves' this team. Nor do i see him as the 'solution' there long-term.

Which leads me to the idea of moving him...but for what? Despite being held in relatively high esteem by many here, and partially as a result of his draft status...in a standalone deal, i just don't see Schroeder having much of any value to teams around the league. He's a tiny center who doesn't seem able to play wing very effectively, hasn't been overwhelmingly productive in the AHL or NHL, spent the year battling (unfairly or not) with Andrew Ebbett for a roster spot, and already has some 'injury concerns' around him with his shoulder issue this year...which is not a good sign for a small player where 'durability' is going to be a concern. And of course...the waiver issue means you're developing him on an NHL roster, for better or worse, which may further turn teams off.

As part of a package deal he may have some value as a guy who can take over a roster spot on a weaker 'rebuilding' type team in a 'filler' role and has at least a bit of upside if he does work out. But he's not a true 'bluechip prospect' that's going to be the centerpiece of a deal i don't think. So moving him for a decent return won't be easy if that's the aim.

I can't help but get the sense we might see Gillis break out the old 'Used Car Salesman' routine again...trying to 'showcase' Schroeder up to the trade deadline next year, to flip him for something else. But it's hard to see Schroeder building up the kind of 'momentum' in stock that say...Hodgson did with his season prior to being traded.