View Single Post
Old
05-16-2013, 11:41 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Team salary structure is the premise behind this belief, and a reason behind why its been reported in the media.

Grabovski when heading for free agency last summer (similar situation) to Bozak this summer received $5.5 mil as the Leafs #2 center.

Bozak contributes more and plays above Grabovski on the teams depth chart often centering the top line. Making Bozak >> Grabovski in contribution.

That is a situation for Bozak and his agent to be in a position to ask for similar $$ & term to what Grabovski received. Contracts are negotiated based on comparable situations and this one is on the table for Bozak.
Grabo was coming off three stronger seasons, in a higher cap environment, and they overpaid by about 500k. Plus they weren't saddled with just having overpaid Grabo already I think Bozak would jump at 4.5 but I don't think they offered that kind of money. The actual number he signs for (wherever that may be) is going to be very interesting. I don't think they will contemplate a buyout for Grabovski if they have the option to take a year to trade him. Just simple business math. That puts down-force on the money they could offer Bozak, and may mean they let him walk, rather than commit to yet another mediocre centre who has to be shifted to the bottom 6. If Grabo were gone then they might be more daring but this has to look like deja vu for the club. A sub 20 goal center won't be that hard to replace.

I like the idea of buying out Komi and saving the compliances. I have a hard time believing Liles will require a buyout though. There are teams like the Oilers that are screaming for NHL caliber defense.

I am trying to figure out what they could do with a $20 million Bozak when they decide he isn't going to be Kessel's center. If Grabo and Liles are gone, and they don't add more bad contracts, then it isn't the end of the world I guess. Especially if the cap starts to go up next year. Once the buyouts and the last of LACK are dealt with, a $4 million guy on the third line isn't anything really.

Last edited by nuck: 05-17-2013 at 12:10 AM.
nuck is online now   Reply With Quote