View Single Post
Old
05-16-2013, 11:09 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
He gives us an another top pairing dman. While he makes mistakes he fills a need for us and makes our powerplay better right away. The contract he is one of the best in the league & it won't hurt us in the future. The way I look at it is if we have to go give up Smith+Tatar for Edler we lose a top 9 player who should be a 50-60 point guy in his prime & Smith. Smith's max potential imo is a meaner Edler & we have a lot of wingers with similar potential to Tatar.

I'm all for the retool an and let everyone develop together, the only problem is that we don't have anyone to replace Datsyuk/Zetterberg when there play does fall off. It hasn't happened yet but it will happen at some point so why not go and trade some of our excess prospects to get someone that can help us now and in the future.

Next year our D looks something like this:

Kronwall-Ericsson
Kindl-DeKeyser
Smith-Quincey
Lashoff

Or it could look like this:

Kronwall-Ericsson
Edler-DeKeyser
Kindl-Quincey
Lashoff

We have enough stop gap forwards to be able to trade away Tatar/Jurco in order to upgrade our D. Mind you playing Edler with Kronwall would lead us to insanity because of all the bonehead plays but having both should greatly increase our point production from the backend. With the way AA, Ferraro, Pulkkinen & Frk have progressed this year we have no shortage of top 6/middle 6 prospects.

I'm open to all options at the draft & if we can trading our 1st+ means that we can get Stastny or Edler I'm all for it. I don't think we will move it and I think we're going to draft a great player but we're at the point now where we can start to look at moving our prospects for bigger pieces.
I have to say no to the idea of going after Edler. We have more than enough able defensive talent developing in our prospect system, we will have 1st/2nd pairing offensively talented dmen in Ouellet and Sproul, as well as Smith, Dekeyser, Kindl and Ericsson, with McKee, Nedomlel, Almqvist and Nicastro fighting to get in as well. Needs addressed, there; just need to be patient.

How about addressing real future needs, like forwards that can help make up for the future departure of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, or physical centermen with good hands? Drafting from somewhere other than the bottom of the barrel would be nice while we can.

TheFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote