View Single Post
Old
05-16-2013, 11:59 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird View Post
I have to say no to the idea of going after Edler. We have more than enough able defensive talent developing in our prospect system, we will have 1st/2nd pairing offensively talented dmen in Ouellet and Sproul, as well as Smith, Dekeyser, Kindl and Ericsson, with McKee, Nedomlel, Almqvist and Nicastro fighting to get in as well. Needs addressed, there; just need to be patient.

How about addressing real future needs, like forwards that can help make up for the future departure of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, or physical centermen with good hands? Drafting from somewhere other than the bottom of the barrel would be nice while we can.
The main problem is that we're still drafting at the bottom. At 18th overall, in this years draft, all of the good centerman with #1 potential will likely be gone before we can pick. The only centers I could see us taking are Horvat/Lazar/Wennberg and I think Horvat/Wennberg would have to fall to us and they project more as #2C guys then #1C. They only way to pick someone with #1C potential is to be in the top 10, or in some cases the top 3/5. I'd have no problem taking the BPA when we pick but by trading for someone like Edler/#2C we could trade some of our excess prospects for that center/defenceman. I think both will fill needs going forward as only Jarnkrok/Smith/Sproul even are projecting to fill those roles.

There comes a time when you have to sell off the surplus before you start to lose those players to waivers/contract space limits you. Soon we'll be at the 50 contract limit and GR is extremely full with some of our prospects having to be in the ECHL next year. If we continue to horde our prospects and we continue to hit we're going to have to make some tough choices about who we keep.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote