Thread: Proposal: Van (Bieksa) - TB (Purcell)
View Single Post
Old
05-17-2013, 04:05 AM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Is that a joke?
What role would Bieksa play on your team?

(here's a hint, Salo plays 1st pair on your team...Bieksa and him have been on the same team for a long time and Bieksa has been ahead of Salo for years).

A 1st + top prospect is a minimum asking price for a guy that plays 23+ minutes a night, plays a position of need for everyone (RHD), has put up over 40 points, has played shutdown minutes effectively, and has demonstrated toughness and an ability to fight, and is signed to a reasonable salary for multiple years.

I can understand if you have no interest in trading for an upgrade on D but it seems like other fans of your team want to address your defenseman situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoeszz View Post
Everyone wants young cheap talent. No one wants to give it up. Its a fantasy that it can be acquired for a trade price that isn't overly exorbitant.
Wouldn't you say the same thing about a big minute RHD, who can put up 40 points while playing shutdown minutes, and can step up physically to protect teammates?

Quote:
He plays 22-23 minutes a night. The reason to trade him is to acquire a top 6 winger with talent that fits the other talent we have.
I don't like Purcell for Bieksa. The value is not there IMO...I don't like Purcell for $4.5M and I think a lot of Tampa fans feel the same way.

Quote:
No team drafting top 3 is trading a first the next year and it doesn't make sense for the Canucks to add Connolly when they have Jensen/Gaunce ready for the NHL in the next year or two with Kassian already improving at the NHL level. Their need is a bonafide proven offensive talent to play with Kesler while the Sedin's cup window is still open.
If you can't see the difference between Connolly and Jensen/Gaunce, you need to look harder.

Jensen's two-way game certainly isn't NHL ready. Gaunce's skating isn't where it needs to be (yet). Connolly represents a significant upgrade on those guys.

Connolly also brings a completely different game from Kassian. The kid is a snipe show.

Quote:
The Canucks don't have the cap space for a high-priced UFA signing and there is a very small market of quality UFA players that would fill the Canuck's needs. Other teams with more money will be bidding for them.
Have you noted Purcell's cap hit ($4.5M). That is exactly enough money to sign a player of his calibur.

That's the main reason I don't like the trade, Purcell is not a great value at his cap hit while Bieksa is IMO.

In regards to the rest of your post, I do agree that Purcell would be a good fit with Kesler...I just don't think he's as valuable as Bieksa (in terms of player value or in cap space).

604 is offline   Reply With Quote