Thread: Value of: Dion Phaneuf
View Single Post
Old
05-17-2013, 08:27 AM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper99 View Post
Smid replaces Phaneuf? C'mon I cant believe some Leaf fans want that offer. Yeah we get a 1st along with Smid but I dont want Smid.
I think it's a tempting offer. Keep in mind I'm in the group of people that wants Phaneuf locked up longterm, so I'm not coming in here as somebody that's a Phaneuf hater and wants him out the door for nothing.

At 7th overall, there's a VERY good chance Monahan is on the board. Or we could target Nuchuskin. I think Carolina takes Nurse, and Calgary takes Lindholm (I'd prefer Lindholm to Monahan, i just highly doubt he's there at 7). We could even hold off on making the trade until after the 6th overall pick is made.

Is Smid as good as Phaneuf? No. But if Rielly can become as good as we hope, a top pairing of Rielly-Smid actually sounds pretty good. With Gardiner/Finn/Percy/etc all developing to fill in the rest of the key blueline positions.

It would hurt us short term (obviously), but it could really be a solid move longterm if Monahan becomes a Toews-lite type of player. We desperately need an upgrade down the middle, we desperately need more size down the middle, and we desperately need something that at least remotely resembles a potential future Selke candidate.

I think those types of elite two-way players are absolutely invaluable. See M. Richards/Kopitar, Bergeron, Toews, J. Staal, Datsyuk, Brind'Amour, etc. All key players in their respective SC runs. This trade gives us a chance to get a potential high end two-way centre with size + a decent #2-3 defenceman who's style of play would work well with Rielly/Gardiner.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote