View Single Post
Old
05-17-2013, 10:22 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
bolded: I never remember hearing that. Have a link?

I'd rather have Poile make a mistake by being active, rather than just standing pat and hoping for the best. He was proactive in getting the bad contract out so I can't really blame him in that situation. Going into that offseason, I was dreading the Lombardi contract. I thought we were stuck with it.

Keep in mind Toronto fans hated Lombardi while he was there. He was healthy scratch a few times too I believe. Getting rid of him was crucial IMO.
Lombardi was 1) injured with no set return date and 2) more of the same. If he were still on the team for the past couple of seasons the mantra would be "Poile needs to stop stocking piling 3rd line centers, and trying to force them into the top six", as it is now.

If Lombardi were still on the team right now our needs would continue to be a top line center and a second pairing defenseman, neither of which we would be in a better position to land by having Lombardi as a tradeable asset.

It's a pointless debate.