View Single Post
Old
05-17-2013, 11:37 AM
LaGu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Canadian National clubs for whatever reason are generally regarded with contempt in Sweden. I am stating that is part of the dynamic which contributed to the woeful disregard for an obviously seriously injured Canadian player writhing on the ice. That he is a Canadian player, playing in a game against Sweden, in Sweden, is part of that dynamic, it shouldn't be.

Again in NA when a man goes down seriously hurt that is always the primary focus of the crowd. Not jeering.

Of course this being a Canadian player down on the ice in serious pain meant the crowd didn't have to (in their minds) show immediate concern or compassion. Because thats the last thought that would be held out for a Canadian player in Sweden.

The conduct of the crowd revealed contempt.
You are generalizing a bit too much I think. Most fans have a love/hate relationship with Canada's national teams. We love to play them, but we hate the fact that we lose more than we win and that many times we're simply out-muscled (this was much more common in the old days). The "out-muscled" part of this equation sticks with people and by default I think many classify Canada as a team playing on the "limit of dirty" (in terms of physical play) and therefore, in a way, they expect that it will be the Swede on the ice instead of the Canadian. Does that make sense?

That said, I think the crowd would have reacted the exact same way if we were playing against Finland, Russia or USA.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote