Old
05-17-2013, 11:43 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I disagree.

Not only do I believe that's the hill Chiarelli is willing to die on, I think that battle has already been fought.

I think "total autonomy with regards to hockey decisions" means everything to Chiarelli. When Neely was hired, Chiarelli went on radio show after radio show telling everyone that he makes the hockey decisions. "Total autonomy." He has to answer to Neely for his performance, but he isn't going to let Neely tell him how to do his job, no more than Parcells was willing to let anyone else pick the groceries. If Chiarelli fails, Neely can fire him, but his success/failure will be the result of his decisions, not Neely's.

I believe this rift came to a head after the Philly series in 2010. Neely, who has zero GM experience and even less coaching experience went to the Harry Sinden/Mike O'Connell playbook and wanted to scapegoat the coach. Chiarelli didn't think that was the right thing to do, and more importantly, decided that he wasn't going to be a puppet. He stood with his coach and drew a line in the sand. That line turned to cement when Chiarelli and Julien won the Cup. Now, as Dupe's said on the radio today, "they're a package deal."

And really, at this point, what does Chiarelli have to fear? If they fired him this afternoon he'd have a job by this evening.
My take is Chiarelli has nothing left to prove here, and I could see him pulling a Theo Epstein and moving on after his contract runs out. He certainly didn't look like he won the lottery the day Cam was given Tom Hagen status by the Jacobs Family.

Chiarelli is still very young and has done it all and would be an excellent choice. He's from Ontario and last I looked they got atleast two teams up there; plus there are many other options that will develop by this time next year.

Bill, if he ever left it would be for the Cam Neely Executive Final Sayer position.

This guy has been here 7 years and won a Cup- what is left? Time to advance the career and take on a new challenge.

That interview was not the usual I want out of here stuff we hear on 98.5.

This is on great run organization to me, starting with Neely and Chiarelli, and his top two lieutenants- Benning and Sweeney. Not sure how long they can keep these boys together

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote