View Single Post
Old
05-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Musashi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey71 View Post
I have seen Nurse a lot here in the Soo and there are some important factors that need mentioned, all just my opinion of course.

First, don't worry too much about his point totals. For the last couple of years, The Soo's offense and specifically PP went thru Nick Cousins and more importantly Ryan Sproul. Sproul is the big one since the big shot opportunity from the point on the PP went thru him first and formost. Sproul's PP partner on defence was Colin Miller, who as his point totals and him also being an overage, is understandable. I really look for his numbers to make a big jump next season with both Miller and Sproul having graduated from the OHL. I kind of see a Justin Shultz style of shot selection from Nurse rather than a booming shot kind of deal. He also skates well and doesn't mind trying an end to end rush from time, with occasional success.

Next thing is his fighting. The OHL has rules in place now for fighting where after 10 fights in a season, you start getting suspended for each fight(I don't recall off hand what the formula is though). It gives a whole new meaning to having to pick your spots on when to fight. As for his ability to fight, I guess I would maybe put him in a light heavyweight division. If he were only a fighter then it may not be a big deal, but when he will also evolve into a guy out in the final minute of a game either ahead by a goal, tied, or down by a goal, that is pretty impressive. He is more valuable with his gloves on, but can take care of business with them off when needed.

As for his size, yeah he is lanky, but not awkward at all and almost freakishly strong, being a gym rat. He will bulk up but it has to be the right type of weight. It has to come naturally and with his bloodlines (dad and uncle), it will come. As much as he can physically dominate at times now, he really will be a handful even amongst NHL players older than him.

Do I hope we draft him? In order, I want to find a way to get Barkov if it were at all possible, I would be pretty happy for Monahan too, but would put Nurse in a fairly close 3rd. He has been groomed by his dad and uncle on how to be a pro and he gets it. He knows what it takes, carries himself well off ice, and looks in the mirror when everyone has to figure out how the team can get better. IMHO he will be a game changer. We have a few of them up front and Nurse, I think, will be a different type of one on the blueline.

Sorry for the novel.
Good write up!

He seems to have quite the tool box and exactly what we need, but I have barely ever seen him play so I look forward to posts like these