View Single Post
Old
05-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I don't disagree with you that the NHL has a problem with superstar refs, and if there was a way to make them less able to be intrusive I would be all for it.

My contention is with the idea that the rule itself is stupid, or has no value.
The intent of the rule is to abate clear and conscious delay of game. The type of cynical play where a player just wanting to get off the ice and end play for any reason could just dump it over the boards even if he had time. Basically it was just get a linechange play.
Usually occurring when a tired line was out there and wanting a change.

The trouble is, as with many things, once a rule is developed theres a slippery slope that ends with what happend last night. Where a player, with no intent, and pressure, and who's stick was interfered with, and was being physically challenged at the moment ended up INADVERTENTLY dumping the puck slightly over the glass. Slightly.

There was no intent, none, it wasn't intent to delay game.

See how the spirit of the rule and application of the rule end up being different things?

I kind of like the rule. But I have zero faith in how NHL zebras define and apply it. Also, is the glass height exactly standardized in all NHL arenas.