Thread: OT: Automobile Questions
View Single Post
Old
05-17-2013, 02:17 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I have purchased new from the US, it's not quite as simple as just driving it back.
The first hurdle is to find a dealer that will sell new to a Canadian, most dealer manufacturer agreements have terms that prevent US dealers selling new to Canadians.

Used is a different story. that's easy.

Also look for a car that is assembled in North America and under NAFTA, that save the payment of duty. You also have to make sure the car meets Transport Canada standards (daytime running lights, child seat tether bolt, bilingual air bag deployment warnings, immobilizer anti-theft, etc.)

Then there's the importation process that requires a recall letter from the manufacturer, an export of the VIN from the US, and the registering of the VIN in Canada with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.

I just glossed over these steps and I don't mean to imply you haven't thought of these things, just letting you know.
For sure. I noticed some dealers actually specialize with canadian customers... would they prepare or help with the paperwork?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
Im going to Toronto to check out a used car tomorrow, taking the car right to Budd's BMW paying $90 for the inspection, if they give me thumbs up I buy, buying from the states is worthless nowadays, you want to talk headaches, having to pass vehicle threw customs is a nightmare and then most vehicle need headlight retro fit which isnt cheap on some vehicles, and some vehicles need seatbelt retro fit which again isnt cheap. Pay a reputable dealer to do a pre safety inspection and if they give you thumbs up you buy.
ya, but if you are buying a car stock without much mods, most of these things are the same, no?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote