View Single Post
05-17-2013, 04:33 PM
vCash: 165
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
It's only two starts, but I don't remember the last time Verlander has had two starts in a row like this. I know his velocity has been down a bit this year, but I don't know what any of his numbers were from the past two starts. Have to assume he'll work out of it unless he's hurt.

On a somewhat related note, Crosby is now on the DL after a poor start in Toledo. so, we're lacking some starting depth from the minors right now, too.

Their use of Smiley has been odd this year. The guy's been effective, but he's not being used in a lot of high leverage situations. Maybe Leyland is just breaking him into a relief role, but I don't know why we don't ride him a bit out of the pen.
As far as JV is concerned, Leyland said he hit 99 on the gun last night so at least people will stop asking if he's hurt. I know he's had blister issues, so maybe that's messing with his feel for the ball.

On Smyly, they're going to have to put him out there in high leverage situations pretty soon here. Can't have Coke, Reed, or any of these other clowns ruin every game without at least trying Smyly there. See if he can be your soft-tossing crafty lefthanded version of Zumaya.