View Single Post
Old
05-17-2013, 08:49 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
There seems to be a lot of confusion about the compliance buyouts...

Why would you buy-out Grabovski or Liles??

There is still this thing called trading. And furthermore, who are you replacing them with? If you're buying out players to just make holes in the roster, then you're about as competent at armchair GM'ing as Lindsay Lohan is at managing her public image...

Grabovski is a core part of this team. He's got speed, endurance and is all heart. He's had seasons where he's been a serious offensive threat, and others where he's been a little more modest.

If we're all going to be fixated on his post-season contributions, can we please compare his abilities/production to Tyler Seguin? Let's forget about draft position and what the "clearly" means for ceiling/development. Yeesh...

Liles can at least fetch a 2nd rounder. He's still the same player from Colorado and he's on a better contract. There are teams that will want his services. He just doesn't fit with Toronto anymore, because of guys that do the same thing. Not every team in the NHL has a glut of PMD.
I kind of agree on Liles, although they did once give Kubina away for a bag of pucks, so trade value is tricky. Still I don't see him as a buyout. Grabovski had three decent years before this season so it seems pretty unlikely his talent disappeared in his sleep. Nonetheless, the contract was fat for a 50-55 pt guy and he was far from that this year. I see any return in a trade being very iffy, and likely tied to another underachiever in return. I really doubt they drop a guy after a single bad season, and eat the resulting huge buyout cost, so i am guessing he will stay around. There is no Getzlaf to tempt them to free up cap by whatever means necessary.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote