View Single Post
Old
05-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
A couple of things:

1) It takes into account offensive and shootout contributions too. Why are you using it to make the case for his defense? Maybe he's the best 2 way forward, not necessarily defensive forward (goals for percentage really show you may be right, it's a measure how good of a two way forward you are).

2) I don't like that shootouts are included. I'm sorry that has nothing to do with how good of a player you are. There are some scrubs that are great at the shootout (Sjostrom) and some great players that are awful at it (Jagr). Plus there's no shootout in the NHL.

3) Seems like there are A LOT of factors. When that happens it reduces the margin for error significantly. Especially if those factors are very specific. That's what I like about the goals for percentage. There are only 2 factors that are straight forward. Once you add factors and make them more specific and obscure, you're increasing the possibility of whacky stats that don't have great correlation to what you're looking for.
GVT for skaters is split up into OGVT, DGVT, and SGVT which represents the player's contributions offensively, defensively, and in the shootout. These are added together to measure a players all-round contributions; GVT.

Stepan led all forwards in DGVT. Bergeron led all forwards in DGVT/G. Stepan was 6th overall in GVT behind Toews, Crosby, Ovechkin, P. Kane, and Kunitz.

Lindberg played well today in Sweden's win against Finland. Got kudos from the Swedish commentators who brought up how he has grown during the tournament. Mårts put him out for key defensive draws.