View Single Post
Old
05-18-2013, 12:50 PM
TinordiandSubban

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
It always impresses me how close you guys come to where players are ranked for the draft - good job again as always....hard to beat Hab fans in terms of being informed in hockey matters. :-0

If there was one area of critique at this point I would say the ranking of US players. I was surprised to see Vanelli passed over until the third round in both mock drafts. Pretty sure he'll be going in the top 40, perhaps even the first round. McCarron is also being underrated. 6-5 wingers with his speed and shot don't grow on trees..has more jam/competitiveness than Mantha too.

Will Compher go in the first and be the first American outside of the CHL chosen? Perhaps - but at this point I see McCarron, McCoshen, Hartman and Vanelli going ahead of him. A 5-10.5 center...yes you have to like his compete and smarts, but there is limited upside. It's not about how they're playing now, but how they play 3-5 years from now.

WTK was wondering about Ausmus - last two tournaments I saw he was the US U-18 team's main shutdown guy. Decent skater and size, good positionally, competes, has some smarts. He has a chance of being a 4-6 NHL dman who plays on the pk.

One other American who has risen in recent months is Downing. He may be in the mix in the top half of the second round as well.

I would also be surprised to see Lazar drop to the 17th pick as he did in this draft. The kid brings so many intangibles - he's a leader and a winner. He won't be a ppg player, but he's going to help you win playoff games.

All in all though - very impressed with the draft.
This mock is so good we can barely call it a mock!

Although the run on Swedes in the fourth was a little unrealistic

With the American kids this year, would you say Vannelli has the highest upside of that USNTP program? How good wil McCoshen be, any offensive upside?

If you draft McCarron would you push him into a CHL program?

Do Hartman and Lazar have similar upsides? Who will be the better player in the NHL?