View Single Post
05-18-2013, 04:37 PM
vCash: 50
there's nothing about this year that lends itself to legitimate rebuilding or retooling. making moves now instead of a year from now when you have a legitimate top ten team isn't going to result in a better team in three years. if you really want optimal returns on assets you're going to have to wait until the year after

thankfully, the nhl made buyouts available for this year and next year. in my mind, if gillis wants to Do Rebuilding Right he's going to work as hard as humanly possible to not use buyouts on booth or ballard and try to work out trades for massively overpriced players at the deadline. if you have two buyouts to play with, it doesn't matter if you acquire brad richards or marian gaborik at the deadline because they're toast in the summer. if he can work it so he gets overpriced, good players as well as assets for taking over those ridiculous contracts, he can both make a really strong run and retool simultaneously

when you have this opportunity as the head of a rich club, i don't see why you don't take it. yeah, its going to offend the sensibilities of some fans that the team didn't massively change but you're going to get better results in the long term and medium term in exchange for poor optics and tell me, since when has this club given a **** about optics

edit: honestly, the canucks dont have established, tradeable assets in either year. this year is edler, whom i highly doubt gets moved, and then rookies/picks. next year is what, booth and more rookies/picks

thank god for buyouts + lots of aquilini's money