Thread: Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan
View Single Post
05-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Block shots
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
John Erskine is an absolute scrub defenseman, so it's not saying much that he was the Caps worst dman lol.
Erskine had been playing as a #3/4 for them through the regular season, and had actually been doing really well. He came "back to earth" during that series

Adding onto the point, the team gets heavily outchanced when he's on the ice. This has been ongoing for 2 yrs straight. Before the Chara slapshot in 10-11, I thought he was an excellent defensive player as teams were usually outchanced when Callahan was on the ice. Perhaps it was the Dubinsky effect, one of the best possession players in the league having a career season that year.
I agree that the team, and Cally, desperately miss Dubinsky. He was the perfect winger for Cally. That said, I disagree on the notion that the team is outchanced, and if they are, I suggest taking a look at the competition he's facing. Torts always, always, puts his line out against the teams #1. He played nearly every shift against OV's line in the past round, and that line's forechecking and cycling was a large part of why Ovechkin was kept off the scoreboard. Cally may not have lit up the offense in that series, but he had more than a positive impact on it.

This is why he's a problem. If you don't like John Tortorella's system than you shouldn't like Ryan Callahan caliber player, who is fit for the system. If you like hockey where a team likes being hemmed in own zone, uses the boards to get puck out instead of middle of the ice, retorting to sliding to block shots and giving opposing team a lot of puck possession, well he's probably the type of player you'd want to lead this team. AKA Stone Age Hockey.
That issue isn't with Cally. That's with Torts and Sather. You don't blame the tool when the user makes a mistake.

A 3rd line player can get gobs of PP time and top ES time with team's best offensive players with soft zone starts and put up points. It's happened many times before. Brooks Laich, Shawn Horcoff, Dainus Zubrus are 3rd liners that put up 50-60 pt seasons.

RWers by depth chart who are just as good as Callahan (In my opinion):

Pittsburgh: Jarome Iginla, Pascal Dupuis
Chicago: Patrick Kane, Marian Hossa
Los Angeles: Justin Williams, Jeff Carter
Boston: Tyler Seguin, Nathan Horton, Jaromir Jagr
Toronto: Phil Kessel, Joffery Lupul
Anaheim: Bobby Ryan, Correy Perry, Teemu Selanne
St. Louis: TJ Oshie, David Backes, Alexander Steen, Chris Stewart (Backes and Oshie alternate RW and C)
San Jose: Patrick Marleau, Logan Couture (Both played RW a lot early in yr)

etc etc

I can go on and on, but I think he's an average 2nd line on average team to 3rd line player on contending team.
Laich and Horcoff are still very good players. Zubie had 2 really good seasons, and never scratched that again. He got slow.

I agree with most of your list, but look at those names. Those are some god damn good names to have on your hockey club.

I think you have unrealistic expectations for a Top 9 (like, Pittsburgh unrealistic), and I don't think a team needs to be that stacked to win

Not only Torts, but the whole management team and pro scouting department that decided he was good enough to have 2nd most ice time per game in playoffs and top 5 in regular season.
Hes a versatile player. I don't know why you're holding that against him.

Yet he completely under-performs in both post seasons.
And if he has a single goal tomorrow, he'll be tied for 2nd on the team, along with our new #1 center. 8 games is a tiny sample size. One hot streak and he goes from goat to hero. It's a bloody joke the way we use revisionist mentality based on point totals.