View Single Post
Old
05-19-2013, 03:06 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I don't think my line is soft with him and Larmer. I posted everything I have last series on Larmer's toughness, if he can't hang with your nasty second pair who can?
Larmer was a gritty guy for his size, but no, he wasn't overly physical. The question you pose is a strange one, as there are many players on ATD 2nd lines this year who would be better equipped than Steve Larmer to the handle a matchup with very physical defensemen. Iginla, Simmer, Broadbent, Cashman, Stewart, Roenick, Tocchet, Roberts, Hadfield, Northcott, Gillies, etc...all these guys are playing on ATD 2nd lines this year, and that's just looking at the Red Fisher.

The quotes on Schriner are interesting, though besides the single use of the word "aggressive", they don't say anything more than that he was big and not injury prone, which we already knew. We touched on this during the assassinations in the discussion of the gap in all-star voting between Jackson and Schriner, who got beaten badly in the voting in the years when they were close as scorers. This isn't a perfectly reliable method, but comparison of all-star voting among guys at roughly the same scoring level is a good way of teasing out how the writers viewed their intangibles, and Schriner's voting recognition was consistently lower than his scoring would suggest.

The bottom line is that the Pittsburgh 2nd line is built around speed and skill, with physicality mostly an afterthought. That's one way to build a line, and it will be a dangerous unit in transition, but when the puck goes to the boards, Montreal's "three down low" are very physical on every unit (besides the 5 minutes of ES time that Schneider will play), and I like the Habs' chances of breaking up the cycle against this line. Schriner - Morris - Larmer aren't comically soft, but they are a whole lot softer than the guys they'll be up against trying to cycle the puck against this team.

Last edited by Sturminator: 05-19-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote