View Single Post
Old
05-19-2013, 08:38 AM
roto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
We see it every day in league play where teams with clearly less skilled individual players beat ones with better line ups, win playoff rounds, etc, etc.

Based on the IIHF's own number the Swiss have around 1.5 to 2% of the world's total hockey population which proportionally speaking is not even enough to fill one NHL roster. The odds are even the full Swiss national A team would finish last if they played an entire season in the NHL. Same would have been true for the 1980 US Olympic hockey team.
What's your point? Swiss national team won't play in NHL and its performance isn't measured by comparing it to NHL. I bet you know that NHL is a league where ice hockey is played in North American style in small rink. In this tournament teams play on large ice. Swiss steamrolled USA (with NHL players) yesterday and the 3-0 numbers flattered USA.

I guess I don't need to remind what are the differences between European ice hockey in on big ice and NHL hockey in small rink. They require and emphasize different skill sets. On big ice you can be skilled and succeed, but in NHL you have also to be big and strong. Swiss players don't need to play in NHL in order to be good players and play well on big ice.

I'm amazed how difficult it's for many to understand that there's also other hockey than dump&chase of NHL, and success in NHL doesn't define how a player can perform on big ice.