View Single Post
Old
05-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roto View Post
What's your point? Swiss national team won't play in NHL and its performance isn't measured by comparing it to NHL. I bet you know that NHL is a league where ice hockey is played in North American style in small rink. In this tournament teams play on large ice. Swiss steamrolled USA (with NHL players) yesterday and the 3-0 numbers flattered USA.

I guess I don't need to remind what are the differences between European ice hockey in on big ice and NHL hockey in small rink. They require and emphasize different skill sets. On big ice you can be skilled and succeed, but in NHL you have also to be big and strong. Swiss players don't need to play in NHL in order to be good players and play well on big ice.

I'm amazed how difficult it's for many to understand that there's also other hockey than dump&chase of NHL, and success in NHL doesn't define how a player can perform on big ice.
My point is that by far the best way to evaluate individual players is to look at their whole body of work, the vast majority of which is how they performed in the league they played in. International tournaments are fun but they are very short and infrequent and for various other reasons they provide little meaningful evidence on how good an individual actually is. Since right now the NHL far and away attracts the most talented players in the world it is the best measuring stick for the world's top players.

The biggest obstacle for any team in the WC is how quickly they can gel together and start playing an effective team system. The amount of team prep time in the WC is next to nothing compared to what is done in leagues and clubs and in such a short time it seems that who can most quickly develop this team chemistry is pretty random in any given year.

Secondly the ice size and rules do play a major factor. I'm sure that with enough time all of the top skilled players can adjust to either system but how long it takes each player to adjust will vary considerably and also certainly relates to the amount of experience they have playing on the big or small ice. I think any reasonable person would agree that someone who has just finished playing an entire season or more on the big ice is going to have an advantage at the WC over someone coming over from NA. Furthermore someone who is coming over from the NHL who has played a lot on the big ice previously is probably going to make the adjustment more quickly, seems kind of obvious.