View Single Post
Old
05-19-2013, 12:22 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Points are one of the last things I look in a d-man. Look at Chris Tanev, Jason Garrison, Karl Alzner, Dennis Seidenberg, etc. It's the ability to think the game, and the ability to think it at a lightning quick speed. Processing your surroundings and acting instantly in the defensive setting and being able to advance and turn the puck out of your zone as quick as possible are the most important traits in a d-man. This is where I believe Zadorov struggles and am more concerned about that point than anything regarding offense. I have similar concerns regarding Sam Morin who is a big riser on a lot of lists right now.

I was in Ontario last week and saw Barrie and London play twice and I just don't get a great feeling from Zadorov. Prospects are tricky business though and with big, huge defenseman it's always the fear that you don't want to watch a fastball go right over the plate because you tricked yourself into thinking it would curve. In that, their appeal is certainly understandable in a general sense.
These are principles that STL adheres to when acquiring defensemen. Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Polak, and to a lesser extent Jackman, Bouwmeester, and Cole/Leopold are all very good at this. That's why it's impossible to get any legit zone time against them.